Being Safe this Guy Fawkes Day

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Fireworks Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in the United Kingdom. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605 O.S., when Guy Fawkes, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Today Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated in the United Kingdom, and in a number of countries that were formerly part of the British Empire, with parades, fireworks, bonfires, and food.

Fireworks were originally made from saltpetre, sulphur, and charcoal. Today’s fireworks tend to contain extra chemicals, to provide special effects. The ingredients are mixed together and put in a shell, then the shell is wrapped up and a fuse is added.

Today’s fireworks tend to contain extra chemicals, to provide special effects. The ingredients are mixed together and put in a shell, then the shell is wrapped up and a fuse is added.

Fireworks cannot usually be recycled; the best methods are to soak them in water after use to make there is no flammable materials remaining in them. Sparklers in particular are not recyclable, as the metal is coated with fuels and oxidisers, so they can’t be recycled with additional metals. Once they have been soaked in water then can then be put in the bin.

However, you are celebrating this Halloween make sure you’re staying safe and enjoying yourself. Follow these top tips:

  • Isolate fireworks in one spot so they are safer, and easier to clear up. A hard, smooth surface is ideal.
  • Before clearing up any debris, make sure the fireworks are completely extinguished
  • Soak them in water for 15-20 minutes
  • Never put use fireworks in your bin, as the chemicals can contaminate recyclable waste
  • Sweep all the debris into one pile to make it easier to dispose of
  • Do not place used fireworks in your recycling bin. Fireworks often contain chemicals capable of contaminating any recyclable goods in your bin.
  • Never attempt to re-light a firework that doesn’t go off. Wait around 20 minutes, then soak it in water to make sure it won’t ignite.

Comments are closed.