Cawleys are extremely proud to support charitable initiatives in our local community and the most recent project we have become involved in does just that.
Luton Food Bank aims to eradicate food poverty in Luton. A non-profit organisation, it is run entirely for the benefit of people in and around Luton who need emergency food. It isn't aligned to any faith group and prides itself on being completely non-judgemental.
There are areas in Luton where poverty can be a problem and the charity is committed to providing free, nutritionally balanced, and culturally appropriate food to people in hardship or distress who are referred by a network of partner agencies. It also does fantastic work in signposting information for those who need it to local advice and information services.
Cawleys have recently embarked on an initiative to provide free waste collections to the Food Bank. All our waste is sorted and recycled where possible which is completely in line with the food bank's ethos of fair trade, anti-waste and sustainability.
The video below shows why initiatives such as this are in great need in Luton and across the UK.
How it works
- Non-perishable food is donated at collection points across the town
- Volunteers take the food to our warehouse and sort it into boxes which provide enough for one person for up to three days
- People needing food are given a voucher by front-line professional agencies such as Luton Advice Network, Age Concern, children’s centres, mental health charities, etc
- These referral agencies also offer immediate advice on dealing with the problems leading to the visit
- Clients present their vouchers at one of the many distribution points across Luton
- Professionals from Citizens Advice are on hand to offer further advice
- We log usage patterns to identify individuals with recurring problems who may need further help
For more information visit Luton Food Bank website.